Saturday, January 17, 2009

Today at work I learned:

Most armadillos in Louisiana are lepers.

In Portuguese, the Birdman of Alcatraz literally means the “birdman of the large seabird.”

There are 12,000 named ant species: a colony of the smallest could live inside the braincase of the largest.

If the male nine-banded armadillo was human, its penis would be four feet long.

Badgers replace their bedding more regularly than most humans.

Bat guano is nutritious: a quarter pound of it contains more protein and minerals than a Big Mac.

Polar bear’s love toothpaste, more so than fish. Plus a pound of its liver has enough vitamin A to kill you.

A full grown beaver is the size of an 8-year-old.

When bee’s mate, the queen will fly, followed by up to 15 drones, all of whom die because their penises explode (with an audible pop) leaving the end inside like a plug.

I learned way too much about beetles to write here.


But all of these facts can be found in:
The Book of Animal Ignorance:
everything you think you know is wrong.
By John Lloyd and John Mitchinson.

2 comments:

Zen Rocker! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thomas said...

oh i totally believe a beaver is the size of an 8 year old. Last fall when I was kayaking in Arkansas I paddled into this little cave until it was too dark to see. I pulled out my headlamp and flicked it on. There in front of me on a dam was a beaver chewing a lot, about a foot from my bow. Scared me, but to fair I think I scared him good too!