Wednesday, March 10, 2010

New ROYAL Review Books

Apparently, it's been two months since the last time I got a batch of free books to review... In that time I managed to read two of them normally, and six over this past weekend. I think my brain might die.

I'm so horribly sad. There were some great titles on the table at yesterday's meeting, but those crazed librarians did some sort of ninja running thing and stole them all!

We do get to pick one title after we present our reviews as a 'first choice' (which is a laugh when your name starts with S... Everyone has already taken the good stuff!)

My first pick was:
Meanwhile by Jason Shiga.
A choose-your-own-adventure style graphic novel of EPIC proportions. Set up like the devil's own flowchart, you must follow your path from page to page via colored tabs. Apparently there were some complex computer algorithms that had to be run for several months just to find a logical layout for the text. Awesome.


My second choice was going to be The Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan (a squeal to The Forest of Hands and Teeth (look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about!)) but it was snatched up by the school librarian from Milford. As she was one of the troop mothers that let me go to the zoo for free this past weekend, I didn't fight her to the death for it.


Instead I got:

The Strange Case of the Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger 
(Which was my 3rd choice anyway)
It comes complete with instructions on how to make your own Origami Yoda. I considered it my moral responsibility to get a copy for my library. I'm an educator for god's sake!

After that everything good was gone so I got:

 Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore
Typical yawnfest as far as I'm concerned, with the notable exception the massive outcry when the American cover was reveled (see above) and the main character featured was not as.... dark... as her description in the text. Ya'll know how much I love a good excuse for a race riot.

 Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
That's right folks, the DELUXE edition... complete with guide to dwarf runes.... Linda was so happy to see it that I quickly agreed to let her keep it if she read it for me and wrote the review. We DON'T need another copy of that baby, and I can stand to have 800 pages of free time that I would have spent rereading it.



 Dizzy in Your Eyes: Poems About Love by Pat Mora

Ooo baby, we all know how much I love emo teen love poems. Sign. Me. Up.


The picture on that is hard to read but it says:
Poetry Rocks! World Poetry "Evidence of Life" by Paula Johanson
It sounds lame, but apparently it traces the history of poetry and art... through... history and what not.


Not the best haul ever, but it could be much, MUCH worse.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

i second that Meanwhile is a sweet book