Monday, April 26, 2010

What to do on a Monday night.

When I got home from work I had a present waiting for me!

My friend Kat sent me the first season of Burn Notice, a show I was lucky enough to see the first few episodes of, and then tragically have missed since then.

So what to have for dinner with something that awesome? If you said booze and munchies, you win!

I'm a little burnt out on popcorn, so perusing my fully stocked pantry (did I mention I kicked a 10 for $10 sale's ass this weekend?), I noticed that I had lots and lots of cans of beans. Including chickpeas!

Now, I have yet to pin down what ethnicity fried chickpeas are supposed to be. So far I've narrowed it down to Spanish, Indian and Italian, with Mexico coming in a close call (but really, they're pretty  much Spanish anyway). The only difference appears to be the spices; to which I say, use what you have! Really, anything works. Garlic, oregano, thyme, rosemary, cumin, lemon, curry...you name it.

I had the last of last years thyme, cumin, garlic and sea salt.

The recipe goes like this.

Oh crap, we're going to iHop. I'll share the recipe later!

 Sorry about that : )



1 can chickpeas
1 cup olive oil (enough to cover the bottom of you pan about 1 cm deep)
4 springs thyme
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt

1. Drain, rinse and thuroughly dry chick peas.
2. Heat skillet with oil on medium till a pea dropped in causes bubbles.
3. Dump everything in pan toghether.
4. Cook about 10 minutes, shaking to stir, till peas start to split open.
5. Drain exess oil and let peas sit on paper towels. Sprinkle on more spices to taste.

DO NOT STOP TILL PEAS SPLIT- this is what makes them crunchy and delicious! The ones that don't split taste horrible.



No comments: