Saturday, September 18, 2010

NYPL Digital Gallery

As some of you have heard I've been attempting to rearrange my apartment to make it more hospitable in the hopes that someone will want to spend time with me. Anyone. Part of that mission is to finish hanging the artwork that I started last winter.

And it seems greedy of me to keep my favorite resource a secret. Especially when Kat wanted to know where to find vintage posters

So, let me tell you about the New York Public Library Digital Gallery
Their blurb says "NYPL Digital Gallery provides free and open access to over 700,000 images digitized from the The New York Public Library's vast collections, including illuminated manuscripts, historical maps, vintage posters, rare prints, photographs and more."

Can you get cooler than that? I mean, honestly. Here are a few of my favorite that I found just browsing in the last 5 minutes. I think they would look great together in  little grouping my bathroom (the rug is that teal color!)


Affiche américaine When hearts... Digital ID: 118566. New York Public Library
Like this guy, from the 'Turn of the Century Posters' gallery

or this one, from the
Variety of stamps 2. Digital ID: 1221634. New York Public Library
'Asia and the Pacific Rim in Early Prints and Photographs' gallery


 Butterflies from 'Ornament and Pattern: Pre-Victorian to Art Deco'

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Pure genius! Thanks. We can save so much money by printing and also not buy the same cliche french posters everyone does.

I just need to buy a plotter now...